CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) is a certification especially curated for IT professionals focusing on information security management. It is an additional skill enhancement certification that makes an IT Professional eligible for higher rung positions in the industry.
Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) is a confirmation that the possessor has the knowledge and experience necessary for developing and managing an Information Security Program (INFOSEC) enterprise. Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) offers CISM, a non-profit, independent association that advocates for infosec, assurance, risk management, and governance professionals. This certification is intended for infosec managers, aspiring managers, or IT consultants who support the infosec program movement.
This course is suited for:
- Experienced information security managers and officers
- IT consultants and managers
- IT auditors
- IT security policymakers
- Privacy officers
- Network administrators
- Network security engineers
- Candidates seeking CISM certification
How to become a CISM?
The CISM certification process consists of a 200-question multiple-choice, evaluated using a 200-800 scaled scoring method. This allows evaluators to compare the performance of various candidates for recruiters to choose the most deserving candidate. The minimum score an individual needs to pass the CISM exam test is 450, set by the ISACA Certification Committee, which indicates that the individual has the minimum consistent standard of knowledge.
The following four content areas are covered in the exam:
- Information security management
- Information risk management and compliance
- Information security program development and management
- Information security incident management
Only applicants with five years of verified experience in the infosec field, with employment in three or more CISM content areas for at least three years, are eligible for the CISM Exam. The condition for the experience years is that the experience must have been gained 10 years before applying to the examination.
To sustain the CISM Certificate, individuals must have great knowledge and skills in the information systems security management field, with 20 continued professional education (CPE) hours in a year. They must adhere to the Code of Professional Ethics formulated by ISACA.
Following are some reasons that might convince you to get a CISM Certification:
- Career Advancements: It helps in upskilling yourself, which will make your resume better. Moreover, CISM is a skill that is much wanted by employers these days. Hence, it will lead to career advancements and better opportunities.
- Career Opportunities Abroad: CISM Certification course is recognised globally. This means that this certification will enable you to apply to companies all across the globe.
- Enhanced Networking Skills: With infinite resources and networking opportunities, one can develop strong networking and communication skills, which will help guide the association in times of crisis, and boost the team’s morale.
- Salary Increment: As an upskill, it also helps you increase your income. According to research, employees with CISM Certification earn $82,237 more yearly than their counterparts without CISM Certification. Also, 48% of CISM Certified Information Security Professionals get increments within a year.
- Skill and Personality Development: CISM Certification helps individuals develop versatile features and abilities in their ongoing certification process. This further helps them and the organisation they are associated with competing in the global market through prudent and critical decisions and strategies. The skills developed through this certification the IT professionals to experts who can single-handedly manage the organisation skilfully.
Honestly, there is no right time to start something progressive for your career. It offers the individuals appropriate knowledge and guidance with practical applicability techniques to drive the organisation to new heights. So, suppose you’re a Senior Company Executive, IT Manager, information security professional, IT software system developer, application developer, or IT auditor. In that case, you must look forward to becoming CISM Certified soon.
If you are a professional in the IT industry, then you must consider applying for CISM certification. It will be great skill development and boost your career, increasing your job opportunities even in foreign countries. You can easily apply for a CISM Exam Test and prepare for your exam with the ‘CISM Exam Prep Course’ offered by Koenig Solutions.
ISACA curates the course to be helpful for people seeking a career in IT Security and Governance. It is a 5-day Certified Information Security Manager course that approves your knowledge and skill in risk management, information security, incident management, and much more.